Sunday 9 September 2012

DIY "I love you because" frame


I have seen so many of these cute "I love you because" frames on Pinterest and wanted to create one myself! So I set out to find a frame, I didnt want anything too fancy, just something with an easel back. I scored this basic one at the Salvation Army in my town for the bargain price of only 49cents. (I always forget to take before pictures, so this one was taken shortly after I started painting it, d'oh!)


I picked up the paint from Walmart. It is a 2 fl oz bottle of "Apple Barrel" acrylic paint in the color 'Laguna'. I already had dozens of brushes on hand so didn't have to buy any more. I could not decided whether to distress or not, for right now I didn't, but may change my mind later.

I normally sand down wood before painting or staining it but this frame was pretty rough so didnt bother, and just cracked straight on with painting. After the frame was painted (I used 3 coats) I set it aside to dry and began working on my actual board itself.

The paper I picked up from work ( I work at Hobby Lobby) it was regular price 59cents, on sale for 50% off and I receive a 15% discount too. The letters came from a pack of punch outs I purchased from Big lots for $3.00, the pack comes with various letter styles and in a variety of neutral colors. I was going for a fancy swirl letter but decided against it, and went for a basic black letter. So I arranged them on my paper, and then glued them in place. I contemplated doing a line in the lower part of the paper where we could write, but in case we wanted to do longer messages I just left it all blank.


Then it was time to get everything together, So I cleaned my glass and put it all back into the frame. The dry erase markers I purchased from Hobby Lobby too, these are them. I used a 40% coupon on them, and then used my 15% work discount. They are great, so many different colors to choose from! So there you have it, my little message board for the hubby and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment